Speaking during a photo-op at ground zero, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta warned that the potential of another 9/11 is “very real” and tapped Yemen as a likely source for the next attack.
This comes just a day after US Ambassador to Afghanistan Ryan Crocker claimed that the decade-long occupation of Afghanistan was “the ultimate guarantee that there will not be another 9/11.”
Panetta, however, still saw threats coming out of both occupied Afghanistan and neighboring Pakistan, as well as growing threats across the rest of the planet. He offered no solutions to this.
The reality, of course, is that both the Crocker and Panetta claims are grounded not in reality, but in expediency. Crocker was hoping to sell continuing the Afghan occupation for decades to come as a cure-all, while Panetta is hoping to add to his department’s already record budget by claiming threats are on the rise.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cluster Bomb Attack Against East Syrian Village Kills at Least 30 Civilians - June 28th, 2017
- Russia: Trump and Putin Probably Should Talk During Hamburg Summit - June 28th, 2017
- US Special Forces Deployed to Kurdish City on Turkish Border - June 28th, 2017
- ISIS Looks to Expand Presence in Northern Afghanistan - June 28th, 2017
- South Korea Leader Reverses Stance, Now Backs Trump Against North Korea - June 28th, 2017