Speaking during a photo-op at ground zero, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta warned that the potential of another 9/11 is “very real” and tapped Yemen as a likely source for the next attack.
This comes just a day after US Ambassador to Afghanistan Ryan Crocker claimed that the decade-long occupation of Afghanistan was “the ultimate guarantee that there will not be another 9/11.”
Panetta, however, still saw threats coming out of both occupied Afghanistan and neighboring Pakistan, as well as growing threats across the rest of the planet. He offered no solutions to this.
The reality, of course, is that both the Crocker and Panetta claims are grounded not in reality, but in expediency. Crocker was hoping to sell continuing the Afghan occupation for decades to come as a cure-all, while Panetta is hoping to add to his department’s already record budget by claiming threats are on the rise.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon Officials See at Least Two More Years of Somalia Combat - December 10th, 2017
- Worldwide Protests Continue Over Trump's Jerusalem Declaration - December 10th, 2017
- Jerusalem Protests Continue Across Palestine - December 10th, 2017
- US Pushes Diplomatic Isolation for North Korea, Despite Being 'Open to Talks' - December 10th, 2017
- State Dept Spends $1 Million Funding Venezuela Opposition - December 10th, 2017