Speaking during a photo-op at ground zero, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta warned that the potential of another 9/11 is “very real” and tapped Yemen as a likely source for the next attack.
This comes just a day after US Ambassador to Afghanistan Ryan Crocker claimed that the decade-long occupation of Afghanistan was “the ultimate guarantee that there will not be another 9/11.”
Panetta, however, still saw threats coming out of both occupied Afghanistan and neighboring Pakistan, as well as growing threats across the rest of the planet. He offered no solutions to this.
The reality, of course, is that both the Crocker and Panetta claims are grounded not in reality, but in expediency. Crocker was hoping to sell continuing the Afghan occupation for decades to come as a cure-all, while Panetta is hoping to add to his department’s already record budget by claiming threats are on the rise.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Two Koreas Meet Again With UN on Border Disarmament - October 21st, 2018
- US Denies Killing Syrian Civilians, Says Mosque Was 'Valid Military Target' - October 21st, 2018
- Security Woes, Irregularities Mar Afghanistan's Second Day of Voting - October 21st, 2018
- US General Wounded During Thursday Insider Attack in Afghanistan - October 21st, 2018
- Saudi FM: We Don't Know How Khashoggi Was Killed - October 21st, 2018