In a speech which repeatedly cited the pro-democracy protests across the Middle East as a catalyst, Israeli Major General Eyal Eisenberg has predicted an “all out” regional war with multiple actors using weapons of mass destruction.
The speech was made at the Institute for National Security Studies in Tel Aviv and reiterates the assorted Israeli gripes about the region, predicting the Egyptian military will lose control of the Sinai Peninsula and noting that relations with Turkey “aren’t at their best.”
He also claimed that the Israeli military had discovered new, secret weapons in the possession of an unnamed Gaza militant faction, and that this weapon required Israelis to hide under “two roofs instead of one.”
Though the speech was approved by the military’s official censor, it was roundly condemned by other top officials, saying it was inappropriate and would only worsen regional tensions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cleric Sadr Calls for Delay in Forming Iraqi Govt as Protests Grow - July 19th, 2018
- Putin: Talks on Extending START Nuclear Treaty Must Start Now - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Invites Putin to White House for Second Summit - July 19th, 2018
- Afghan Defense Ministry Confirms Civilians Killed in Kunduz Airstrike - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Says Critics Badly Want War With Russia - July 19th, 2018