In a speech which repeatedly cited the pro-democracy protests across the Middle East as a catalyst, Israeli Major General Eyal Eisenberg has predicted an “all out” regional war with multiple actors using weapons of mass destruction.
The speech was made at the Institute for National Security Studies in Tel Aviv and reiterates the assorted Israeli gripes about the region, predicting the Egyptian military will lose control of the Sinai Peninsula and noting that relations with Turkey “aren’t at their best.”
He also claimed that the Israeli military had discovered new, secret weapons in the possession of an unnamed Gaza militant faction, and that this weapon required Israelis to hide under “two roofs instead of one.”
Though the speech was approved by the military’s official censor, it was roundly condemned by other top officials, saying it was inappropriate and would only worsen regional tensions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Over 170 Casualties in Afghan Election Attacks - October 20th, 2018
- Pentagon Cancels Major Aerial Wargames With South Korea - October 19th, 2018
- Saudi King Gives Trump Room to Avoid Acting Over Killing of Journalist - October 19th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill 32 Civilians in Eastern Syria - October 19th, 2018
- Bolton Pushes Trump to Withdraw From Russian Nuclear Treaty - October 19th, 2018