In a speech which repeatedly cited the pro-democracy protests across the Middle East as a catalyst, Israeli Major General Eyal Eisenberg has predicted an “all out” regional war with multiple actors using weapons of mass destruction.
The speech was made at the Institute for National Security Studies in Tel Aviv and reiterates the assorted Israeli gripes about the region, predicting the Egyptian military will lose control of the Sinai Peninsula and noting that relations with Turkey “aren’t at their best.”
He also claimed that the Israeli military had discovered new, secret weapons in the possession of an unnamed Gaza militant faction, and that this weapon required Israelis to hide under “two roofs instead of one.”
Though the speech was approved by the military’s official censor, it was roundly condemned by other top officials, saying it was inappropriate and would only worsen regional tensions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Mattis Claims White House Threat to Syria 'Worked' - June 28th, 2017
- Saudis Demolish Historic Shi'ite Neighborhood, Sparking Unrest - June 27th, 2017
- Turkey, Kurdish Forces Trade Fire in North Syria's Afrin District - June 27th, 2017
- Mattis: US Will Keep Arming Syrian Kurds After Raqqa Falls - June 27th, 2017
- Russia: US Warning to Syria Is Unacceptable - June 27th, 2017