Syrian troops today attacked the city of Homs, with the state media saying they were deploying in response to the threats by “armed terrorist gangs.” As usual, they immediately started attacking civilian protesters, killing seven.
Also in the city of Homs, as-yet-unidentified gunmen attacked a group of state oil workers, killing at least four and wounding dozens of others. The state media is blaming “terrorists” for the attack.
In a more positive move, the International Committee of the Red Cross reports that it has been given access to detainees in Syrian prisons. Red Cross spokeswoman Carla Haddad Mardini praised it as a “significant step forward.”
At the same time, Red Cross officials said this should be the norm and not a rare occurance. This message appears to have been lost on Syrian state media, which instead claimed the Red Cross praised the Assad regime on general terms.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel Attacks Airbase Outside Northern Syrian City of Aleppo - July 15th, 2018
- Trump Lowers Expectations for Russia Summit - July 15th, 2018
- Afghan Civilian Deaths Hit Record High, Says UN - July 15th, 2018
- Trump Declares EU a 'Foe,' Alongside Russia and China - July 15th, 2018
- Iran Says Will Leave Iraq, Syria Only If Those Countries Want Them To - July 13th, 2018