Protesters once again massed in the streets of Syria for a Friday protest today, with troops opening fire and killing at least 17 people nationwide. Today’s slogan, in keeping with the protesters’ desire to name every Friday rally, was “death rather than humiliation.”
In addition to the usual attacks on the streets and international promises of additional sanctions, fighting was also reported in the nation’s hospitals, where troops moved to capture wounded and in some cases even slain protesters.
Protesters are reporting that going to the hospital is an extremely dangerous matter, with security forces in control of most public health care. They also claim that medical workers have in some cases even abused wounded protesters.
The explanation, they say, is that most of the nation’s doctors of from the Alawite minority, which is the same sect that President Assad belongs. He enjoys considerable support in this group.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018