At least two more people were killed today and several others wounded as Israeli warplanes pounded the Gaza Strip, leaving the ceasefire they agreed to just days before very much in doubt. Among the slan was a member of the Islamic Jihad militant faction.
In addition, Palestinian medical workers discovered the body of another person, a 65 year old man who was slain in a tank shelling attack over the past few days. This brings the toll of recent attacks to at least six.
A handful of rockets were reported fired out of the Gaza Strip as well, though as usual they did very little in the way of damage. One Israeli child was reported “lightly wounded” on her hand when one of the rockets hit an empty car near Ashkelon.
It was unclear which militant faction was responsible for the Gaza rockets, but it is unlikely to be Hamas, who Israeli officials have repeatedly said they believe are trying to avoid further escalation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi FM: We Don't Know How Khashoggi Was Killed - October 21st, 2018
- Saudi Official Offers Alternate Version of Khashoggi's Death - October 21st, 2018
- Trump Announces US Will Withdraw From Intermediate Nuclear Forces Treaty - October 21st, 2018
- Trump Cites Saudi Deception of Khashoggi, But Defends 'Strong' Crown Prince - October 21st, 2018
- Over 170 Casualties in Afghan Election Attacks - October 20th, 2018