At least two more people were killed today and several others wounded as Israeli warplanes pounded the Gaza Strip, leaving the ceasefire they agreed to just days before very much in doubt. Among the slan was a member of the Islamic Jihad militant faction.
In addition, Palestinian medical workers discovered the body of another person, a 65 year old man who was slain in a tank shelling attack over the past few days. This brings the toll of recent attacks to at least six.
A handful of rockets were reported fired out of the Gaza Strip as well, though as usual they did very little in the way of damage. One Israeli child was reported “lightly wounded” on her hand when one of the rockets hit an empty car near Ashkelon.
It was unclear which militant faction was responsible for the Gaza rockets, but it is unlikely to be Hamas, who Israeli officials have repeatedly said they believe are trying to avoid further escalation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Led Airstrikes Killed 472 Civilians in Syria in the Past Month - June 23rd, 2017
- US Narrows Counter-Extremism Program to Focus on Islamists - June 23rd, 2017
- Senator: US Strikes on Syrian Forces 'Unlawful' - June 23rd, 2017
- Kurds Warn Turkey's Buildup in North Syria Threatens Raqqa Invasion - June 23rd, 2017
- Senators Seek Clarification on US Role in Yemen Torture - June 23rd, 2017