A US drone fired a pair of missile attacks against the Nork area of the town of Miramshah in North Waziristan Agency today, killing at least five people who witnesses described as local tribesmen.
The strike was the fifth drone attack by the US so far this month, and the 51st of the year. Reports have an estimated 800 people slain this year alone in the attacks, which have escalated dramatically since President Obama took office in 2009.
The latest escalations have spawned growing concern in the area, with some villagers complaining that the constant drone flights overhead are interrupting their nightly prayers and sparking fear among tribesmen.
Research into the strikes have indicated that a large number of the slain are likely innocent civilians, and even among the “suspects” only a few dozen have ever been named as confirmed militants out of thousands killed since 2009.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- South Korea's Moon Ratifies Recent North Korea Deals - October 23rd, 2018
- Pence Won't Rule Out Nukes in Space - October 23rd, 2018
- Syrian Observatory: US Has Killed Over 3,000 Civilians in Syria Since 2014 - October 23rd, 2018
- Bolton: US Plans Talks With Allies Before Leaving Nuclear Pact - October 23rd, 2018
- Bolton Rejects Russian Call to Stay in Nuclear Treaty - October 23rd, 2018