Reports coming out of Libya today are claiming that a body, believed to be Moammar Gadhafi’s son Khamis Gadhafi, was found alongside another believed to be intelligence chief Abdullah Senussi.
The apparent death of Khamis, a top military commander, is noteworthy not just because it comes as the regime’s control over the nation appears to be crumbling, but because NATO and the rebels reported Khamis dead weeks ago.
That claim, coming nearly three weeks ago, had NATO killing Khamis in an air strike in the city of Zlitan. Though the regime denied Khamis’ death, rebels repeated the claim for days and it was treated as a matter of fact.
The fate of Gadhafi as well as his assorted sons are very much in doubt, as rebel claims that they captured Saif al-Islam turned out to be false, and Mohamad Gadhafi, the mostly irrelevant Olympic head, managed to escape custody.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Airstrikes Kill at Least 100 Syrian Civilians in Raqqa in 48 Hours - August 22nd, 2017
- Palestinian Authority Threatens to Cut All Gaza Funds - August 21st, 2017
- Report: ISIS Attacks Grew in 2016, Despite Shrinking Territory - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Promises to 'Deal With Pakistan' on Afghan War - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Declares Open-Ended War in Afghanistan - August 21st, 2017