Reports coming out of Libya today are claiming that a body, believed to be Moammar Gadhafi’s son Khamis Gadhafi, was found alongside another believed to be intelligence chief Abdullah Senussi.
The apparent death of Khamis, a top military commander, is noteworthy not just because it comes as the regime’s control over the nation appears to be crumbling, but because NATO and the rebels reported Khamis dead weeks ago.
That claim, coming nearly three weeks ago, had NATO killing Khamis in an air strike in the city of Zlitan. Though the regime denied Khamis’ death, rebels repeated the claim for days and it was treated as a matter of fact.
The fate of Gadhafi as well as his assorted sons are very much in doubt, as rebel claims that they captured Saif al-Islam turned out to be false, and Mohamad Gadhafi, the mostly irrelevant Olympic head, managed to escape custody.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Ceasefire Announced for Part of Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 22nd, 2018
- Turkey Will Expel All Kurds From Border Unless Deal Reached With US - March 22nd, 2018
- Pentagon: Nukes Will Be Useless Without New Plutonium Cores - March 22nd, 2018
- State Dept. Announces $1 Billion in New Arms Sales to Saudis - March 22nd, 2018
- Mattis Says Saudis 'Part of the Solution' in Yemen - March 22nd, 2018