Reports coming out of Libya today are claiming that a body, believed to be Moammar Gadhafi’s son Khamis Gadhafi, was found alongside another believed to be intelligence chief Abdullah Senussi.
The apparent death of Khamis, a top military commander, is noteworthy not just because it comes as the regime’s control over the nation appears to be crumbling, but because NATO and the rebels reported Khamis dead weeks ago.
That claim, coming nearly three weeks ago, had NATO killing Khamis in an air strike in the city of Zlitan. Though the regime denied Khamis’ death, rebels repeated the claim for days and it was treated as a matter of fact.
The fate of Gadhafi as well as his assorted sons are very much in doubt, as rebel claims that they captured Saif al-Islam turned out to be false, and Mohamad Gadhafi, the mostly irrelevant Olympic head, managed to escape custody.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Envoy 'Warns' Lebanon Over Hezbollah Cabinet Posts - February 19th, 2019
- Gen. Votel Contradicts Trump on Foreign Policy, Now Hypes Afghanistan 'Threat' - February 19th, 2019
- Ahead of New Summit, Trump Says 'No Rush' for North Korea Denuclearization - February 19th, 2019
- Germany's Ban on Arms Exports to Saudis Over Khashoggi Murder Have Growing Impact - February 19th, 2019
- 'Irritated' by Russia, US Admiral Sends Warship to Black Sea - February 19th, 2019