At least 25 people were killed today when US drones fired two missiles at a home and vehicle in Pakistan’s North Waziristan Agency. Pakistani officials termed all of the slain “militants.”
The strike took place in Gora Qabristan, just outside of the town of Miramshah, and officials said the slain were potentially part of a group planning attacks on NATO forces in neighboring Afghanistan, linked with the Haqqani network.
The attack comes as tensions between the US and Pakistan continue the rise. The Pakistani government has demanded the US stop all such strikes, but behind the scenes they previously backed such strikes and it is unclear how serious the new-found opposition is.
The Obama Administration continues to insist that the program will continue however, despite growing evidence that the vast majority of the victims are innocent civilians who just happen to live in the tribal area.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Kills Dozens of Afghan Forces in Attacks on Checkpoints - October 14th, 2018
- Bombing Kills 22 at Afghanistan Election Rally - October 14th, 2018
- Israel to Expand Settlement in Hebron, First Time in 16 Years - October 14th, 2018
- Syria's Al-Qaeda Will Accept Idlib Deal - October 14th, 2018
- South Korea President: North Korea Leader Sincere, Should Be Rewarded - October 14th, 2018