Two grad-type rockets fired from the Gaza Strip struck empty fields inside Israel today, doing no damage and causing no casualties, but becoming headline news in a number of Israeli media outlets.
Israel responded, as they always do, with a massive escalation of their ongoing air strikes against the strip, destroying a number of as-yet-unidentified targets in the tiny enclave in what they called a “retaliatory” measure.
So far no group has claimed responsibility for the rockets, but the Hamas faction has been trying to negotiate deals among smaller groups to refrain from launching such strikes. This has been rejected by the would-be al-Qaeda affiliate in the strip, however, which sees Hamas’ government as illegitimate.
The latest escalation comes just one day after Israel’s Public Security Minister called for a full-scale invasion of the Gaza Strip to prevent future missile strikes, and will likely spawn yet more calls for such an attack.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Turkey: Kurdish Banner in Raqqa Proves US Sided With Terrorists - October 20th, 2017
- Many Afghan Troops Run Away While in US to Train - October 20th, 2017
- Spain to Start Catalonia Takeover Saturday - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Deaths Highlight Growing US Involvement in Africa - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Ambush the Result of 'Massive Intelligence Failure' - October 20th, 2017