Two grad-type rockets fired from the Gaza Strip struck empty fields inside Israel today, doing no damage and causing no casualties, but becoming headline news in a number of Israeli media outlets.
Israel responded, as they always do, with a massive escalation of their ongoing air strikes against the strip, destroying a number of as-yet-unidentified targets in the tiny enclave in what they called a “retaliatory” measure.
So far no group has claimed responsibility for the rockets, but the Hamas faction has been trying to negotiate deals among smaller groups to refrain from launching such strikes. This has been rejected by the would-be al-Qaeda affiliate in the strip, however, which sees Hamas’ government as illegitimate.
The latest escalation comes just one day after Israel’s Public Security Minister called for a full-scale invasion of the Gaza Strip to prevent future missile strikes, and will likely spawn yet more calls for such an attack.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump: Afghan War Decisions Made - August 19th, 2017
- UN Aid Chief Slams Saudis for Blocking Yemen Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Top US General: Attack on Japan Same as an Attack on US - August 18th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia Courts Iraq Alliance, Offering Reconstruction Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Assad Advisor: Syrian War Effectively Over - August 18th, 2017