Yesterday’s comments by Saif al-Islam al-Gadhafi, the son of dictator Moammar Gadhafi, were perplexing. He insisted, after all, that the Gadhafi regime was not interested in a ceasefire despite repeated claims to the contrary from a number of top officials.
But Saif was apparently just getting warmed up, as today he claimed in an hourlong interview that the regime is making secret alliances with Islamist factions across the nation to wipe out all of Libya’s liberals.
“The liberals will escape or be killed,” insisted Saif, who appeared to be trying to play up his own Islamist bona fides with a newly grown beard and a handful of prayer beads. He went on to predict that “Libya will look like Saudi Arabia” after the civil war.
Saif also went on to claim that the assassination of East Libyan rebel general Abdel Younes was carried out by Islamists, saying that the Islamists would also soon take over the rebel movement from within. Already this has spawned speculation that the comments were more an effort to fuel dissent among rebels than an actual statement of regime policy, but it remains as ever to be seen.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Expands Afghan Base to Accommodate Ongoing Surge - December 17th, 2018
- Taliban Meets US Officials in United Arab Emirates - December 17th, 2018
- US Accepts Assad Staying in Syria -- But Won't Give Aid - December 17th, 2018
- Turkish FM: US Working on Extraditing Gulen - December 17th, 2018
- Erdogan: Trump Expressed Support for Turkish Attack on Syrian Kurds - December 17th, 2018