NATO is once again escalating its attacks in and around the Libyan capital city of Tripoli, with strikes today hitting a number of targets including, according to witnesses on the ground, the Gadhafi compound.
Despite this, NATO insisted that none of the strikes directly targeted President Moammar Gadhafi. Brigadier General Claudio Gabellini insisted all the strikes were targeted at “military targets” including command bunkers.
NATO made similar claims two weeks ago after a strike hit the home of Saif al-Arab al-Gadhafi, a son of the ruler with no role in governing the country or military. Saif al-Arab was killed in the strike.
Reports from the Gadhafi regime claimed a number of civilians wounded in today’s strikes. Such claims are virtually impossible to verify, and by and large no one really knows what the NATO strikes are hitting.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Palestinian Authority Threatens to Cut All Gaza Funds - August 21st, 2017
- Report: ISIS Attacks Grew in 2016, Despite Shrinking Territory - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Promises to 'Deal With Pakistan' on Afghan War - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Declares Open-Ended War in Afghanistan - August 21st, 2017
- Trump's Pentagon to Spend Nearly $500 Million on Gitmo Construction - August 21st, 2017