NATO is once again escalating its attacks in and around the Libyan capital city of Tripoli, with strikes today hitting a number of targets including, according to witnesses on the ground, the Gadhafi compound.
Despite this, NATO insisted that none of the strikes directly targeted President Moammar Gadhafi. Brigadier General Claudio Gabellini insisted all the strikes were targeted at “military targets” including command bunkers.
NATO made similar claims two weeks ago after a strike hit the home of Saif al-Arab al-Gadhafi, a son of the ruler with no role in governing the country or military. Saif al-Arab was killed in the strike.
Reports from the Gadhafi regime claimed a number of civilians wounded in today’s strikes. Such claims are virtually impossible to verify, and by and large no one really knows what the NATO strikes are hitting.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Attacks Afghan Taliban Commander's House, Killing 15 - July 17th, 2018
- Trump: No Time Limit for Denuclearization of North Korea - July 17th, 2018
- Afghan Govt Rejects Idea of US-Taliban Peace Talks - July 17th, 2018
- Israeli Army Told to Prepare for Large-Scale Invasion of Gaza - July 17th, 2018
- Lawmakers, Media Look to Undermine US-Russia Detente - July 17th, 2018