NATO is once again escalating its attacks in and around the Libyan capital city of Tripoli, with strikes today hitting a number of targets including, according to witnesses on the ground, the Gadhafi compound.
Despite this, NATO insisted that none of the strikes directly targeted President Moammar Gadhafi. Brigadier General Claudio Gabellini insisted all the strikes were targeted at “military targets” including command bunkers.
NATO made similar claims two weeks ago after a strike hit the home of Saif al-Arab al-Gadhafi, a son of the ruler with no role in governing the country or military. Saif al-Arab was killed in the strike.
Reports from the Gadhafi regime claimed a number of civilians wounded in today’s strikes. Such claims are virtually impossible to verify, and by and large no one really knows what the NATO strikes are hitting.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Sen. Corker: Trump Must End Intel Clampdown on Khashoggi - October 18th, 2018
- Saudis Mull Blaming Top Intelligence Official for Journalist's Killing - October 18th, 2018
- Trump: Khashoggi Likely Dead, Too Early to Assign Blame - October 18th, 2018
- Taliban Kills Top Afghan Officials in Insider Attack - October 18th, 2018
- US, Israel Send Secret Delegation to Ukraine to Train Against S-300 - October 17th, 2018