Two of Moammar Gadhafi’s sons are said to be pushing a “solution” to the ongoing civil war that would allow the long-standing dictator to step down and be replaced by Saif al-Islam al-Gadhafi.
The news came amid reports that one of Gadhafi’s overseas envoys was “testing the waters” for the idea among the Western nations currently bombing Libya, to see if the change in leadership would be enough to stop the bombs from falling.
It is being sold to the West as a “respectful solution” for the aging dictator that would lead to the gradual introduction of democratic reforms. There was no indication how soon any reforms would be introduced.
But the question is likely moot anyhow, as the rebels have already rejected the notion of handing over the country to any of Gadhafi’s sons. Officials with the rebel faction say any “solution” would have to involve the ouster of the Gadhafi family entirely, and Italian Foreign Minister Franco Frattini, who spoke with the rebel’s foreign minister, said that the Gadhafi family would have to leave Libya entirely.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon Cancels Major Aerial Wargames With South Korea - October 19th, 2018
- Saudi King Gives Trump Room to Avoid Acting Over Killing of Journalist - October 19th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill 32 Civilians in Eastern Syria - October 19th, 2018
- Bolton Pushes Trump to Withdraw From Russian Nuclear Treaty - October 19th, 2018
- Afghans Head to Polls Amid Corruption, Taliban Threats - October 19th, 2018