Two of Moammar Gadhafi’s sons are said to be pushing a “solution” to the ongoing civil war that would allow the long-standing dictator to step down and be replaced by Saif al-Islam al-Gadhafi.
The news came amid reports that one of Gadhafi’s overseas envoys was “testing the waters” for the idea among the Western nations currently bombing Libya, to see if the change in leadership would be enough to stop the bombs from falling.
It is being sold to the West as a “respectful solution” for the aging dictator that would lead to the gradual introduction of democratic reforms. There was no indication how soon any reforms would be introduced.
But the question is likely moot anyhow, as the rebels have already rejected the notion of handing over the country to any of Gadhafi’s sons. Officials with the rebel faction say any “solution” would have to involve the ouster of the Gadhafi family entirely, and Italian Foreign Minister Franco Frattini, who spoke with the rebel’s foreign minister, said that the Gadhafi family would have to leave Libya entirely.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Signs $692 Billion Military Spending Bill - December 12th, 2017
- USAID Chief: No Sign Saudis Easing Yemen Blockade - December 12th, 2017
- McMaster: Qatar and Turkey Sponsoring 'Extremist Ideology' - December 12th, 2017
- Tillerson: Ready for North Korea Talks Without Preconditions - December 12th, 2017
- Netanyahu: The Bible Proves Jerusalem Is Israel's Capital - December 11th, 2017