The latest in a long line of pre-scripted moves designed to convince the international community that the calamitous Afghan War is moving forward in some orchestrated manner will be held in a matter of weeks, according to Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai.
Speaking at the Munich Security Conference, Karzai insisted that there would be a “handover” on March 21 that is the first step of the elaborate, multi-year handover strategy detailed in Lisbon’s conference.
NATO Chief Anders Fogh Rasmussen confirmed the date, saying he was “very optimistic” that the current timetable would lead to a full security handover (albeit not a military withdrawal) by May of 2014.
The March 21 “start” doesn’t seem to have any practical impact on the situation on the ground, but is entirely a ceremonial effort, likely aimed at allowing President Obama to insist that he kept his word about July 2011 being the beginning of a handover, even if it is one that is open-ended and illusory.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Airstrikes Kill 28, Mostly Civilians, in Eastern Syria - November 13th, 2018
- US Discusses Suspending Afghan Presidential Election - November 13th, 2018
- Bolton Vows to 'Squeeze' Iran, Escalating Sanctions - November 13th, 2018
- Israeli Hawks Fume as Ceasefire Ends a Violent Day in Gaza - November 13th, 2018
- Calm Returns to Israel-Gaza Border as Ceasefire Takes Hold - November 13th, 2018