Tensions are on the rise again in the Gaza Strip after Israeli attacks on two refugee camps left at least two civilians wounded. Israel insisted the attacks were “retaliation” for rocket fire from the strip.
Israel insisted the attacks on the refugee camps were aimed at targeting Hamas and that they blame Hamas for the rocket fire, even though officials have repeatedly conceded that Hamas is not the ones firing the rockets and are indeed struggling to prevent such fire by their rivals.
Israel last invaded the Gaza Strip in January 2009, and has repeatedly threatened a new invasion since then. With the strip under an ongoing naval blockade the population continues to rely on humanitarian aid, which is only permitted in very limited quantities.
A new aid ship is said to be en route for the Gaza Strip tonight, sailing from Syria with large amounts of food and medicine. The ship will dock in Egypt and take its aid to Gaza by land.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iraqi Oil Ministry Warns World Against Making Oil Deals With Kurds - October 19th, 2017
- CIA Chief: North Korea on Cusp of Ability to Hit US With Nukes - October 19th, 2017
- Spain to Revoke Catalan Autonomy on Saturday - October 19th, 2017
- Taliban Destroys Afghan Army Base in Kandahar - October 19th, 2017
- Germany Suspends Training for Iraqi Kurdish Troops - October 18th, 2017