The Obama Administration has been caught out in yet another lie by the release of a WikiLeaks cable, in this case relating to the January 2010 Dubai assassination of Mahmoud al-Mabhoh, a top Hamas member.
At the time the US had been insisting that they had never been approached by Dubai officials to help in the investigation. The cable shows not only was that a lie, but that the US overtly refused to help the US with the probe.
Dubai police had explicitly sought help from the US embassy with details relating to a number of credit cards issued by a US bank used by the apparent assassins. The assassins were later revealed to be using stolen identities, and in many cases forged passports.
At the time Israel, which was responsible for the assassination, had taken a position of vagueness at the time, and the administration refusal to help probe the crime appeared to be aimed at avoiding embarrassing Israel. Since then officials have openly bragged about the killing.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Chemical Inspectors Arrive in Syria's Douma, Collect Samples - April 21st, 2018
- Saudi Airstrike Kills 20 Civilians in Southwest Yemen - April 20th, 2018
- North Korea Tones Down Anti-US Rhetoric as New South Korea Hotline Opens - April 20th, 2018
- Russia Says US Didn't Violate Red Lines During Syria Strike - April 20th, 2018
- UN Security Team Still Won't Let Inspectors Visit Douma - April 20th, 2018