The United Nations office for torture issues confirmed today that they have received a complaint regarding the mistreatment of Pfc. Bradley Manning in detention by the US military, and that the matter is under investigation.
Manning has been held for several months, facing charges regarding the release of classified documents to WikiLeaks. Though he has not yet been convicted, he is reportedly being kept in an extremely harsh conditions.
The US Marines, who are holding Manning at the floating brig in Quantico, VA, insist that he is “safe, secure and ready for trial,” though indications are he is being kept without bedsheets or blankets in solitary confinement.
Manning could face decades in prison for leaking classified information under the military code of justice. The Justice Department is said to be planning to pressure Manning to agree to a plea bargain deal in which he names Julian Assange as a conspirator.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Afghan Officials Warn Malistan District on the Verge of Collapse - November 12th, 2018
- Taliban Overrun West Afghanistan District, Killing 37 Police and Civilians - November 12th, 2018
- Taliban Slaughter Elite Afghan Troops, as 'Safe' District Is Falling - November 12th, 2018
- North Korea Warns US-South Korea Drills Violate Agreement - November 12th, 2018
- IAEA Report Shows Iran Continues to Honor Nuclear Deal - November 12th, 2018