A new flurry of WikiLeaks cables may prove embarrassing to Saudi Arabia, as the documents show US allegations that the nation is the “world’s largest source” for funding to al-Qaeda, the Taliban, and other Sunni terror groups.
The new documents include a December 2009 memo signed by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton urging diplomats to press Saudi Arabia on the funding efforts, despite other documents praising the Saudi government as a “key partner” is stopping such funding.
US officials have expressed concerns about Saudi funding for terror in the past, but the cables provide a more frank assessment of what the US sees as the major problems, primarily the Saudi government’s reluctance to crack down on religious charities.
Other dispatches point to other regional countries, from the United Arab Emirates and Qatar to Kuwait as serious problems, but it seems none are as serious a source of funds as Saudi Arabia. The Saudi government has yet to comment on the cables.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Yemeni Forces Stop Houthis Attempt to Reopen Hodeidah Supply Route - October 18th, 2018
- Trump Threatens to Send Military to Close Border With Mexico - October 18th, 2018
- US Opposes Koreas' New No-Fly Zone Plans - October 18th, 2018
- Trump Administration Bans US Aid Groups From North Korea - October 18th, 2018
- Sen. Corker: Trump Must End Intel Clampdown on Khashoggi - October 18th, 2018