US Defense Secretary Robert Gates today warned against launching a military attack against Iran, saying the attack would unite the country and would at best delay the advancement of Iran’s civilian nuclear program.
Rather Gates sees the current administration stance of ever-escalating sanctions against Iran is the “best way to sow division” and insists that he has evidence that Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei believes President Ahmadinejad is lying to him about the country’s economic situation.
Gates also added that the sanctions have done much more damage to Iran’s economy than anyone projected. At the same time, it does not appear that Iranian opposition figures were incorrect in predicting that the sanctions would harm the civilian population far more than the government itself.
The IAEA has continued to confirm the non-diversion of materials from Iran’s civilian nuclear program to any banned use, and the country is poised to begin generating electricity at the Bushehr nuclear power plant next month.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Turkey: Kurdish Banner in Raqqa Proves US Sided With Terrorists - October 20th, 2017
- Many Afghan Troops Run Away While in US to Train - October 20th, 2017
- Spain to Start Catalonia Takeover Saturday - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Deaths Highlight Growing US Involvement in Africa - October 20th, 2017
- Niger Ambush the Result of 'Massive Intelligence Failure' - October 20th, 2017