US Defense Secretary Robert Gates today warned against launching a military attack against Iran, saying the attack would unite the country and would at best delay the advancement of Iran’s civilian nuclear program.
Rather Gates sees the current administration stance of ever-escalating sanctions against Iran is the “best way to sow division” and insists that he has evidence that Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei believes President Ahmadinejad is lying to him about the country’s economic situation.
Gates also added that the sanctions have done much more damage to Iran’s economy than anyone projected. At the same time, it does not appear that Iranian opposition figures were incorrect in predicting that the sanctions would harm the civilian population far more than the government itself.
The IAEA has continued to confirm the non-diversion of materials from Iran’s civilian nuclear program to any banned use, and the country is poised to begin generating electricity at the Bushehr nuclear power plant next month.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cleric Sadr Calls for Delay in Forming Iraqi Govt as Protests Grow - July 19th, 2018
- Putin: Talks on Extending START Nuclear Treaty Must Start Now - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Invites Putin to White House for Second Summit - July 19th, 2018
- Afghan Defense Ministry Confirms Civilians Killed in Kunduz Airstrike - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Says Critics Badly Want War With Russia - July 19th, 2018