Though it became something of an afterthought following Friday’s massive Iraq War document release, WikiLeaks held their secret London press conference today revealing, among other things, the future of the missing “other 15,000” Afghan War docs.
WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange had confirmed he existence of the 15,000 documents in late July in a number of media outlets, reporting that they contained information which required more vetting before it could be released with the rest of the Afghan War documents. Since then the fate of those documents had remained something of a mystery.
But today Kristinn Hrafnsson confirmed that the vetting is complete, and said that the organization intends to publish the documents “shortly.” WikiLeaks has often been guarded about exact release dates, owing to the secretive nature of much of their work, and no specific publication date was promised.
The previous 77,000 Afghan War documents revealed, among other things, that the military knew full well the disastrous status of the conflict even as they were testifying to Congress that a turnaround was imminent. In addition to Friday’s Iraq release, the group also issued an Iraq War video earlier this year, showing a US helicopter attacking Iraqi civilians.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iraq Says 36 ISIS Killed in Thursday's Syria Strike - April 22nd, 2018
- Trump Denies Making Too Many Concessions to North Korea - April 22nd, 2018
- Iran Vows 'Vigorous' Enrichment of Uranium if US Quits Nuclear Deal - April 22nd, 2018
- Syrian Forces Advance into Islamist-Held Area South of Damascus - April 22nd, 2018
- Chemical Inspectors Complete Visit to Syria's Douma - April 22nd, 2018