Deputy Mayor of Kandahar Also Wounded in Drive-By Shooting
At least five NATO troops were killed today in a pair of attacks in Kandahar Province, with four killed in a bombing and a fifth killed in fighting with insurgents. NATO offiials declined to release the nationality of any of the slain.
The attacks come as US-led forces are promising to seize control over the region around Kandahar City, the major offensive that is supposed to vindicate a massive escalation of the war that, so far, has netted only record death tolls.
Kandahar City’s deputy mayor Noor Ahmad Nazari was also reported seriously wounded today in a drive by shooting carried out by a pair of gunmen on motorcycles. A separate attack was also reported to have killed a member of the provincial parliament.
Nazari took the office in April, after his predecessor Azizollah Yarmal was assassinated in a mosque during prayers. Nazari is still in the hospital and it is unclear what his current condition is.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House: No Alternative to Iran Negotiations - February 27th, 2015
- Former MI6 Chief: MI5 Didn't Radicalize Jihadi John - February 27th, 2015
- Former Russian Deputy PM Slain in Moscow - February 27th, 2015
- Obama Renews NSA Bulk Surveillance Program Once Again - February 27th, 2015
- Former Mossad Chief: Netanyahu Taking 'Intolerable' Risks Alienating US - February 27th, 2015