Zardari: Collateral Damage Does Not Worry Me
The revelations from Bob Woodward’s new book Obama’s Wars continue to emerge, with one of the biggest stories yet the fact that, in a meeting in November 2008, then-CIA Director Michael Hayden admitted that the US drone strikes were killed American citizens.
During the meeting Hayden detailed a number of drone strikes with Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari, revealing a number of Westerners, including Americans, had been killed in attacks against North Waziristan Agency. The particulars were kept secret from Zardari, citing the “implications under American law” of killing US citizens.
Which is odd, as the Obama Administration now claims the right to specifically order the killings of US citizens not charged with any crimes on national security grounds. New Mexico born cleric Anwar Awlaki was revealed earlier this year to be on a “to be assassinated” list at the CIA.
President Zardari’s reaction to the quote is likely to be another issue, as he was quoted as saying “Collateral damage worries you Americans. It does not worry me.” Zardari’s government has repeatedly denied any involvement in the drone strikes, while claiming the growing number of confirmations to the contrary are part of a “conspiracy” against them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iraq Detains Sunni Women to Intimidate Families Into Opposing ISIS - July 22nd, 2014
- No Place Is Safe as Israel Pounds Civilian Areas in Gaza - July 22nd, 2014
- Israeli Envoy: Our Military Deserves Nobel Peace Prize for Not Killing More Gazans - July 22nd, 2014
- Israeli Attacks on Gaza Continue: 693 Palestinians, 34 Israelis Dead - July 22nd, 2014
- Iraqi Govt Barrel Bombs Kill 19 Civilians in Fallujah - July 22nd, 2014