Zardari: Collateral Damage Does Not Worry Me
The revelations from Bob Woodward’s new book Obama’s Wars continue to emerge, with one of the biggest stories yet the fact that, in a meeting in November 2008, then-CIA Director Michael Hayden admitted that the US drone strikes were killed American citizens.
During the meeting Hayden detailed a number of drone strikes with Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari, revealing a number of Westerners, including Americans, had been killed in attacks against North Waziristan Agency. The particulars were kept secret from Zardari, citing the “implications under American law” of killing US citizens.
Which is odd, as the Obama Administration now claims the right to specifically order the killings of US citizens not charged with any crimes on national security grounds. New Mexico born cleric Anwar Awlaki was revealed earlier this year to be on a “to be assassinated” list at the CIA.
President Zardari’s reaction to the quote is likely to be another issue, as he was quoted as saying “Collateral damage worries you Americans. It does not worry me.” Zardari’s government has repeatedly denied any involvement in the drone strikes, while claiming the growing number of confirmations to the contrary are part of a “conspiracy” against them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel Pounds Crowded Gaza Marketplace, Kills 17 - July 30th, 2014
- Israel Defends Attacking Another UN School Full of Refugees in Gaza - July 30th, 2014
- Israel Attacks Third UN School in Gaza, Dozens Killed - July 29th, 2014
- Israel Broadens Targets in Gaza War: 1,300 Killed - July 29th, 2014
- Senators Say NSA Bill Falls Short on 'Reform' - July 29th, 2014