Zardari: Collateral Damage Does Not Worry Me
The revelations from Bob Woodward’s new book Obama’s Wars continue to emerge, with one of the biggest stories yet the fact that, in a meeting in November 2008, then-CIA Director Michael Hayden admitted that the US drone strikes were killed American citizens.
During the meeting Hayden detailed a number of drone strikes with Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari, revealing a number of Westerners, including Americans, had been killed in attacks against North Waziristan Agency. The particulars were kept secret from Zardari, citing the “implications under American law” of killing US citizens.
Which is odd, as the Obama Administration now claims the right to specifically order the killings of US citizens not charged with any crimes on national security grounds. New Mexico born cleric Anwar Awlaki was revealed earlier this year to be on a “to be assassinated” list at the CIA.
President Zardari’s reaction to the quote is likely to be another issue, as he was quoted as saying “Collateral damage worries you Americans. It does not worry me.” Zardari’s government has repeatedly denied any involvement in the drone strikes, while claiming the growing number of confirmations to the contrary are part of a “conspiracy” against them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Inspector General: Army Refuses to Stop Giving Contracts to Taliban Backers - October 31st, 2014
- UN Security Council Condemns Israeli Settlement Expansion - October 30th, 2014
- Mass Graves Discovered: 228 Sunni Tribesmen Executed by ISIS in Anbar - October 30th, 2014
- Israeli DM Scraps Plan to Buy US Osprey Warplanes - October 30th, 2014
- Gen. Dempsey: Send 'Advisers' to Front Lines in Anbar Province - October 30th, 2014