Claims of Progress Ring Hollow Following Latest Report
Despite repeated claims of progress from their American allies, the latest quarterly report from the Canadian government cautions that the security situation in Afghanistan is continuing to worsen.
The report cites an “increasingly volatile” nation in which assassinations are growing and casualties are reaching new record levels on a regular basis. Though they claim some progress in distributing polio vaccinations they make it clear that the security situation is getting worse, not better.
The report comes at an inopportune time for NATO, as the deaths of nine troops yesterday brought the 2010 death toll, with over three months left, to the worst since the war began. The war’s unpopularity and worsening situation are a bad combination for politicians aiming to make a career out of selling the conflict, and has led to a number of efforts to downplay just how bad things really are.
And they are bad. Every day of worsening violence is met with predictions that things will get worse before they get better, and every claim that the election was a success is followed by a dozen reports from the ground about ballot stuffing and fraud. Afghanistan remains a mess.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Quickly Surpassing al-Qaeda in Recruitment Drive - July 23rd, 2014
- Vote on Iraqi President Again Delayed by Parliament - July 23rd, 2014
- Rebels Shoot Down Two Ukraine Su-25 Warplanes in East - July 23rd, 2014
- State Dept Contradicts Intel Community, Says Putin Directly to Blame for MH17 - July 23rd, 2014
- Iraq Detains Sunni Women to Intimidate Families Into Opposing ISIS - July 22nd, 2014