Two Afghan protesters were killed today at a Kabul protesting against the burning of the Quran, though of course the Florida church which was planning the burning never actually went through with it.
The protesters were killed by NATO troops, and NATO claimed one of the two slain men was armed. They declined to identify the nationality of the troops who killed the protesters, but insisted no US troops were at the base.
The killings bring the overall toll of the protests to at least five protesters killed and scores of people wounded. Local police claimed that “Taliban agitators” were present at today’s protest though it does not appear they were involved in any clashes with the NATO troops.
Afghan soldiers killed two protesters at a separate rally earlier in the week, and last week NATO troops killed a protester at another rally in Faizabad. A number of Afghan police were also wounded in a protest earlier this week.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Suicide Bomber Kills Dozens Near Shrine in Afghan Capital - March 21st, 2018
- US-South Korea Spring War Games to Be Scaled Back This Year - March 21st, 2018
- Trump to Boost Exports of Lethal US Drones - March 20th, 2018
- Tests of Substance in Britain Poisoning Will Take Three Weeks - March 20th, 2018
- Iraq Approves Turkish Military Operations Against Border Kurds - March 20th, 2018