Yesterday a pair of US drone strikes against Bushnarai and Datta Khel in North Waziristan Agency killed at least 16 people. Today, two more US drone strikes involving at least 10 more missiles struck.
The new attacks hit homes in Dandi Derpakhel and Datta Khel, killing at least 21 more “suspects” and wounding an unknown number of others. This brings the total to four attacks in two days with 37 dead.
All of the slain have been termed “suspects” primarily because North Waziristan, which has only a nominal Pakistani government presence, is known to be home to the Haqqani network. None of those slain in the attacks have been “high value” targets, which is to say people conclusively linked with the group.
The attacks also mark the 12th and 13th attacks by US drones against the region in the past 12 days. Though a number of civilians have been confirmed killed (including several children) none of the attacks appear to have killed anyone “high value,” though officials were bragging that a drone strike inside Afghanistan managed to kill a cousin of a top Haqqani family figure.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Kills Dozens of Afghan Forces in Attacks on Checkpoints - October 14th, 2018
- Bombing Kills 22 at Afghanistan Election Rally - October 14th, 2018
- Israel to Expand Settlement in Hebron, First Time in 16 Years - October 14th, 2018
- Syria's Al-Qaeda Will Accept Idlib Deal - October 14th, 2018
- South Korea President: North Korea Leader Sincere, Should Be Rewarded - October 14th, 2018