Yesterday a pair of US drone strikes against Bushnarai and Datta Khel in North Waziristan Agency killed at least 16 people. Today, two more US drone strikes involving at least 10 more missiles struck.
The new attacks hit homes in Dandi Derpakhel and Datta Khel, killing at least 21 more “suspects” and wounding an unknown number of others. This brings the total to four attacks in two days with 37 dead.
All of the slain have been termed “suspects” primarily because North Waziristan, which has only a nominal Pakistani government presence, is known to be home to the Haqqani network. None of those slain in the attacks have been “high value” targets, which is to say people conclusively linked with the group.
The attacks also mark the 12th and 13th attacks by US drones against the region in the past 12 days. Though a number of civilians have been confirmed killed (including several children) none of the attacks appear to have killed anyone “high value,” though officials were bragging that a drone strike inside Afghanistan managed to kill a cousin of a top Haqqani family figure.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pakistan: We Won't Tolerate Drone Strikes on Our Soil - June 22nd, 2017
- Iraq PM: Destruction of Mosul Mosque Proves ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- Turkey: US Promised to Take Back Kurds' Arms After ISIS Is Defeated - June 22nd, 2017
- White House Lobbying to Water Down Russia Sanctions Bill - June 22nd, 2017
- House Armed Services Committee Advances $640 Billion Military Spending Bill - June 22nd, 2017