Yesterday a pair of US drone strikes against Bushnarai and Datta Khel in North Waziristan Agency killed at least 16 people. Today, two more US drone strikes involving at least 10 more missiles struck.
The new attacks hit homes in Dandi Derpakhel and Datta Khel, killing at least 21 more “suspects” and wounding an unknown number of others. This brings the total to four attacks in two days with 37 dead.
All of the slain have been termed “suspects” primarily because North Waziristan, which has only a nominal Pakistani government presence, is known to be home to the Haqqani network. None of those slain in the attacks have been “high value” targets, which is to say people conclusively linked with the group.
The attacks also mark the 12th and 13th attacks by US drones against the region in the past 12 days. Though a number of civilians have been confirmed killed (including several children) none of the attacks appear to have killed anyone “high value,” though officials were bragging that a drone strike inside Afghanistan managed to kill a cousin of a top Haqqani family figure.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Drone Strikes Kill 31 People in Pakistan Tribal Areas - October 17th, 2017
- Catalonia Won't Renounce Independence, Despite Looming Deadline - October 17th, 2017
- Pentagon May Stop Training Iraqis Amid Kurdish Conflict - October 17th, 2017
- Kurdish Forces Abandon Territory In Face of Iraqi Offensive - October 17th, 2017
- Syrian Kurds Declare Victory in Raqqa, But Face Complicated Peace - October 17th, 2017