A report released today by the Bipartisan Policy Center (BPC) warns that the threat of terrorism is becoming more diverse and is increasingly defying the preconceived notions of an “ethnic, economic, educational, or social profile.”
“We are seeing more Americans turning on their country,” warned Dr. Bruce Hoffman, one of the report’s authors, adding that the US has “no way of dealing with this growing problem” of radicalization.
In fact the report goes on to warn that al-Qaeda’s leadership is becoming “Americanized” and that previous assumptions about the threat the group posed needs to be reexamined.
US officials have been quick to see terror threats everywhere and this report (pdf) seems to back up that assessment, adding ammunition to the claims that virtually everyone in America is a potential terrorist and that the government has some vested interested in the increased mass surveillance of the American public.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Chemical Inspectors Arrive in Syria's Douma, Collect Samples - April 21st, 2018
- Saudi Airstrike Kills 20 Civilians in Southwest Yemen - April 20th, 2018
- North Korea Tones Down Anti-US Rhetoric as New South Korea Hotline Opens - April 20th, 2018
- Russia Says US Didn't Violate Red Lines During Syria Strike - April 20th, 2018
- UN Security Team Still Won't Let Inspectors Visit Douma - April 20th, 2018