The Qassam Brigades may have taken credit for today’s shooting attack at Mount Hebron, which killed four Israeli settlers, but the real culprits in the minds of a number of Israeli officials were clear, all Palestinians, everywhere, were really to blame.
“The whole world can see tonight that Israel desires peace while the Palestinians want violence and terror,” declared Israeli MP Ofir Akunis (Likud). Other officials said the attack proved that peace talks were a bad idea and still others called for “retaliation” by announcing massive expansions of settlements in the West Bank.
There are already concerns that the talks will derail the US brokered direct peace talks, though those talks haven’t actually started yet. Even US officials, who remain confident of a peace deal despite all reason, are expressing concern.
Which means this might actually derail the talks before Israel’s settlement expansions get a chance to derail them, and officials from both sides will have to come up with new ways to blame one another for the failed talks, having already both condemned each other already for a failure of talks that hasn’t happened yet based on a settlement expansion that hasn’t happened yet either.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- South Korea's President Moon Rules Out War on Korean Peninsula - August 17th, 2017
- Assange Meets Rep. Rohrabacher, Vows to Prove Leaks Didn't Come From Russia - August 17th, 2017
- UN Report: Saudis Killed 502 Children in Yemen in Past Year - August 17th, 2017
- Iraq PM Confirms Troops Abused Civilians in Mosul - August 17th, 2017
- North Korea: Nuclear Talks Only If US Stops 'Hostile Policy' and Threats - August 17th, 2017