The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and the Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR) filed a lawsuit today challenging the right of the Obama Administration to assassinate American citizens outside of any current war zones.
“The United States cannot simply execute people, including its own citizens, anywhere in the world based on its own say-so,” insisted the Executive Director of the CCR Vince Warren.
The Obama Administration however insists that it can do exactly that, when National Intelligence Director Dennis Blair announced to Congress that US-born cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, against whom no charges have been filed, was on the official CIA “assassination list.”
Though officials never explained where this new power to execute without charges came from, National Counterterrorism Chief Michael Leiter later explained that it would be “irresponsible” not to try to assassinate Awlaki.
The lawsuit is an effort by Awlaki’s father Nasser al-Awlaki to stop the assassination of his son. So far the administration has not addressed this lawsuit.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Russia: Baltic Wargames With China Are Not a Threat - July 26th, 2017
- Russian Officials Warn New US Sanctions Put Them in 'Uncharted Waters' - July 26th, 2017
- Iran Warns of Retaliation If US Imposes New Sanctions - July 26th, 2017
- Taliban Fighters Attack Afghan Base, Kill at Least 26 Soldiers - July 26th, 2017
- Taliban Awash in US Arms, Vehicles, Complicate Afghan War - July 25th, 2017