Several Civilians Among 20 Killed in US Drone Attack
The Obama Administration’s policy of escalating drone strikes took another hit today, after the explosion from a drone attack against the house of “suspected militants” in North Waziristan also destroyed a neighboring house full of women and children.
The combined toll from the blast was 20 people killed, with at least four women and three children among the slain. At least 13 other civilians were also reported wounded, including a number of other children.
Pakistani intelligence officials say most of the “suspects” killed in the attacks were Afghans, but it is unclear how much evidence they had of wrongdoing. Large numbers of Afghan civilians have been living as refugees in the tribal areas since the 2001 US invasion.
The large numbers of civilians (700 in 2009 alone) killed in the US drone strikes has fueled considerable anti-American sentiment in Pakistan. When pressed during a previous visit Secretary of State Hillary Clinton shrugged off concerns about the civilians, saying only “there’s a war going on.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- PM: Iraqi Troops Never Authorized to Withdraw From Ramadi - June 28th, 2015
- Kurds Oust ISIS Forces From Kobani: Locals Claim Over 300 Civilians Killed - June 28th, 2015
- Pentagon Spending Reforms Fuel Concerns of Weakening Civilian Oversight - June 28th, 2015
- ISIS Kills 40 Troops in Offensive Against West Syrian Village - June 28th, 2015
- Reports: Turkey Plans to Invade Syria to Fight Kurds - June 28th, 2015