Faced with growing indications that some Republicans are going to use opposition to the mosque as an election issue, Democrat and New York Governor David Paterson is said to be seeking talks with developers of the “Ground Zero Msoque” in which he will press them to accept an alternative site to calm the issue.
The proposed community center has sparked considerable opposition, which has grown in recent weeks as it has taken on a more political bent. Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich has likened the mosque to letting Nazis “put up a sign next to the Holocaust Museum.”
The community center would be built on private land two blocks from Ground Zero. Efforts to have the graffiti covered building at the site declared a “landmark” failed earlier this month, but more lawsuits are underway to block its construction.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Militia Chief Wants Fighters Placed Under National Army - December 14th, 2017
- US Troops, Syrian Rebels Battle ISIS Near Key Base - December 14th, 2017
- US Will Preposition Jet Fuel in Algeria, Niger to Expand Drone Wars - December 14th, 2017
- US Warplanes Fire Warning Flares at Russian Jets Over Syria - December 14th, 2017
- Iran: US Presentation of Iranian Arms in Yemen Fabricated - December 14th, 2017