Two candidates from last year’s Iranian Presidential Election, Mehdi Karroubi and Mir-Hossein Moussavi issued a joint letter today warning that the various sanctions against Iran, from the UN sanctions passed in June to the unilateral US and EU sanctions passed since, are actually helping President Ahmadinejad consolidate power.
The Obama Administration had insisted that a public offer to talk made by the Iranian government ealrier this month proved that the sanctions were “working.” At the same time, US officials angrily rejected the offer to talk.
But the joint letter reported that in actuality the sanctions are primarily harming Iran’s poor, while sparking resentment against both the international community and opposition figures like themselves, who are increasingly linked with the Obama Administration.
Despite requests from the opposition that the US keep their distance, the State Department has bragged about efforts to support them, giving the Iranian government excuses to crack down on them for being tied with an enemy state constantly threatening invasion.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Over 170 Casualties in Afghan Election Attacks - October 20th, 2018
- Pentagon Cancels Major Aerial Wargames With South Korea - October 19th, 2018
- Saudi King Gives Trump Room to Avoid Acting Over Killing of Journalist - October 19th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill 32 Civilians in Eastern Syria - October 19th, 2018
- Bolton Pushes Trump to Withdraw From Russian Nuclear Treaty - October 19th, 2018