Claims Only 161 Civilians Killed Despite Well-Publicized Reports
After spending most of last week paging over evidence of the US military lying about the scope of the civilian death toll if Afghanistan, it seems that it is Iraq’s turn, with the US military publicly lying, claiming that only 161 civilians were killed in Iraq in July.
The Pentagon’s comments were meant to “refute” figures from the Iraqi government showing the death toll at its worst point in over two years, with 532 Iraqis killed. The US toll would’ve put the deaths at a relative low, certainly appealing as the Obama Administration tries to spin the continuation of the war past his August drawdown date as a sign of success.
Appealing but of course ridiculously, obviously false. 117 Iraqi pilgrims were killed over a single weekend in early July, and 50 were killed in an attack on a Karbala checkpoint last week. Those two incidents alone already put the toll above the US figure, but of course there were hundreds of additional deaths.
President Obama initially promised to have all troops out of Iraq by May of 2010, which was later revised to “all but 50,000 by August 2010,” a figure which itself appears unlikely to be met. The US State Department is currently creating its own alternative army to continue the war past a prospective military pullout at the end of 2011.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iraq Detains Sunni Women to Intimidate Families Into Opposing ISIS - July 22nd, 2014
- No Place Is Safe as Israel Pounds Civilian Areas in Gaza - July 22nd, 2014
- Israeli Envoy: Our Military Deserves Nobel Peace Prize for Not Killing More Gazans - July 22nd, 2014
- Israeli Attacks on Gaza Continue: 630 Palestinians, 31 Israelis Dead - July 22nd, 2014
- Iraqi Govt Barrel Bombs Kill 19 Civilians in Fallujah - July 22nd, 2014