Insists Plan Is Only Meant to Be Used 'If Necessary'
Just weeks ahead of a planned P5+1 talk with Iran, Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Admiral Michael Mullen announced on Meet the Press that the military has drawn up plans to attack Iran, though he insisted they would only do so ‘if necessary‘
Mullen said the prospect of attacking Iran is “well understood” and that it remains “an important option” for President Obama. Iranian officials warned they would retaliate if attacked by the US.
The US has been threatening to attack Iran for several years, but perhaps the most memorable was a comment by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton last year, in which she threatened to attack Iran “the way that we did Iraq.”
The US invaded Iraq in 2003 on the basis of false claims regarding its nuclear program. The US threats against Iran are likewise based on allegations centering around their civilian nuclear program.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Kerry Warns of 'Different Track' If No Syria Regime Change by August - May 4th, 2016
- US, Allies Agree to 'Do More' in ISIS War - May 4th, 2016
- Turkey: Over 20 PKK Fighters Killed in Air Strikes - May 4th, 2016
- Turkey's PM to Be Ousted as President Moves to Increase Power - May 4th, 2016
- Egypt Interior Ministry Accidentally Releases Memos on Silencing Media - May 4th, 2016