Insists Plan Is Only Meant to Be Used 'If Necessary'
Just weeks ahead of a planned P5+1 talk with Iran, Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Admiral Michael Mullen announced on Meet the Press that the military has drawn up plans to attack Iran, though he insisted they would only do so ‘if necessary‘
Mullen said the prospect of attacking Iran is “well understood” and that it remains “an important option” for President Obama. Iranian officials warned they would retaliate if attacked by the US.
The US has been threatening to attack Iran for several years, but perhaps the most memorable was a comment by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton last year, in which she threatened to attack Iran “the way that we did Iraq.”
The US invaded Iraq in 2003 on the basis of false claims regarding its nuclear program. The US threats against Iran are likewise based on allegations centering around their civilian nuclear program.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Assad: West Cooperating With Us Against ISIS - June 30th, 2016
- Taliban Kill 34, Mostly Soldiers, in Suicide Attacks Against Convoy - June 30th, 2016
- Israeli Minister Vows Land Seizures After Latest West Bank Stabbing - June 30th, 2016
- In Shock Move, Boris Johnson Withdraws From Tory Leadership Bid - June 30th, 2016
- At Least 250 ISIS Killed in US Airstrikes in Fallujah - June 29th, 2016