'However Many of Them You Kill, There'll Be More'
UN Taliban-al-Qaeda Sanctions Monitoring Committee head and former British intelligence official Richard Barrett today warned that the US goals in Afghanistan were “incredibly hard” to achieve and that a way ought to be found to engage the Taliban politically.
“However many of them you kill, there’ll be more coming over the hill,” warned Barrett, adding that he thought the justification for Britain’s involvement in the war was “debatable.”
Barrett’s comments will likely add to the growing number of questions about the war strategy, as Pentagon officials maintain, despite all evidence to the contrary, that the military operations are going well.
But Barrett’s concerns aren’t military, but rather political, saying that the US goals require a political solution and that all the US has at its disposal are military means.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Senate Packages Surveillance Powers Into New Cybersecurity Bill - July 29th, 2015
- Israel Demolishes Two Illegal Settlement Buildings, Announces 300 New Units - July 29th, 2015
- Israeli Drone Strike Kills Three in Southern Syria - July 29th, 2015
- Gen. Dempsey: Iran Deal Lowers Risk of Iran Getting Nuclear Arms - July 29th, 2015
- Defense Secretary: Deal Imposes No Limits on US Attacking Iran - July 29th, 2015