Hundreds of Protesters Stone Government Buildings
At least 11 Afghans, mostly civilians were killed in an overnight raid by US forces today, sparking a massive protest that turned violent in Nangarhar Province, as raging demonstrators chanted “death to America.”
The protesters proceeded to throw stones at the government buildings in the area, until police opened fire on the crowd, killing at least one more. NATO continues to deny that any civilians died in the attacks.
But when US forces raided the house last night, local officials say, only one suspect was being targeted. Exactly what he was wanted for has yet to be announced, and the identities of the other 10 people that were slain is a complete mystery, though relatives say they had nothing to do with any militant activity.
The US raid was the second night raid to leave civilians dead in the past few weeks, and seems to be taking its toll on good will in the province. Some reports say that mixed in with the anti-US slogans, some of the protesters were even praising the Taliban, an unusual sight in Nangarhar, which has traditionally been less than friendly territory for the insurgency.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Ukraine Coalition Govt Collapses, Setting Stage for New Elections - July 24th, 2014
- US Invents Reports of Russia Attacking Ukraine Bases - July 24th, 2014
- Israel Shells UN School in Gaza, Killing 16 Civilians, Wounding Hundreds - July 24th, 2014
- Growing Calls for Gaza Ceasefire, But Israel and Hamas Stick to Demands - July 23rd, 2014
- UN Rights Council to Investigate Israeli War Crimes in Gaza - July 23rd, 2014