The threats against Syria over their alleged transfer of Scud missiles to Hezbollah continued fast and furious, but US officials are conceding tonight that they have growing doubts about the claim.
“We don’t think Scuds of any shape or size have been moved to Lebanon,” noted one official. The US has been publicly lashing Syria about the transfers all week, despite lacking evidence to support them.
The Israeli government initially made the allegations last week, but didn’t offer anything other than a vague assertion. Syria and Lebanon have both denied the transfer. Israeli officials have been openly talking about invading southern Lebanon for months, and Syria warned it was possibly an Israeli pretext for an attack.
The US is still talking about improving ties with Syria, but it remains to be seen how much damage the State Department has done in summoning envoys and condemning them all week based on such a flimsy allegation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Ex-CIA Chief: US Meddles in Foreign Elections, But 'Only for a Very Good Cause' - February 18th, 2018
- Amid Worsening Tensions, Western Diplomats See Russia as 'Indispensable Partner' - February 18th, 2018
- Turkey: Chemical Weapons Use Allegations 'Baseless' - February 18th, 2018
- US Pushes Europe to Commit to Changing Iran Nuclear Deal - February 18th, 2018
- South Korean President Says Olympics Have Lowered Tensions With North - February 18th, 2018