The threats against Syria over their alleged transfer of Scud missiles to Hezbollah continued fast and furious, but US officials are conceding tonight that they have growing doubts about the claim.
“We don’t think Scuds of any shape or size have been moved to Lebanon,” noted one official. The US has been publicly lashing Syria about the transfers all week, despite lacking evidence to support them.
The Israeli government initially made the allegations last week, but didn’t offer anything other than a vague assertion. Syria and Lebanon have both denied the transfer. Israeli officials have been openly talking about invading southern Lebanon for months, and Syria warned it was possibly an Israeli pretext for an attack.
The US is still talking about improving ties with Syria, but it remains to be seen how much damage the State Department has done in summoning envoys and condemning them all week based on such a flimsy allegation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Latest US Navy Collision Fuels Speculation About 'Hacking' - August 22nd, 2017
- US, North Korea Clash at UN Forum Over Nuclear Arms - August 22nd, 2017
- NATO Chief Declares Alliance 'Fully Committed' to US War in Afghan - August 22nd, 2017
- Haley Demands IAEA Launch New Inspections of Iran Military Sites - August 22nd, 2017
- No End in Sight for US War in Afghanistan - August 22nd, 2017