Though they have admitted once again that they still haven’t actually got any proof that any such thing happened, the US State Department insisted today that “all options are on the table” with respect to retaliating against Syria over its alleged delivery of Scud missiles to Hezbollah.
Assistant Secretary Jeffrey Feltman says the State Department has “really, really serious concern” about the report, and said if Syria actually turns out to have done such a thing it would be a “provocative action.”
Israel made the accusation last week, but it has since been denied by both Syria and Lebanon’s governments. Israel has not provided any public evidence to support its claim, but Hezbollah has been rumored in the media to have been given some old, unusable Scuds at some point in the past.
Scud missiles would give the Lebanese militant group the ability to hit targets anywhere in Israel at a time when Israeli officials are openly talking of launching another invasion of southern Lebanon.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- North Korea 'Threat' to Guam Greatly Overblown - August 15th, 2017
- South Korean President Says He Can Veto War Against North Korea - August 15th, 2017
- ICC Issues Warrant for Ally of Libyan Gen. Hafter for War Crimes - August 15th, 2017
- Taliban Open Letter Urges Trump to Withdraw US Troops From Afghanistan - August 15th, 2017
- Iran Threatens to Quit Nuclear Deal If US Keeps Adding Sanctions - August 15th, 2017