Though they have admitted once again that they still haven’t actually got any proof that any such thing happened, the US State Department insisted today that “all options are on the table” with respect to retaliating against Syria over its alleged delivery of Scud missiles to Hezbollah.
Assistant Secretary Jeffrey Feltman says the State Department has “really, really serious concern” about the report, and said if Syria actually turns out to have done such a thing it would be a “provocative action.”
Israel made the accusation last week, but it has since been denied by both Syria and Lebanon’s governments. Israel has not provided any public evidence to support its claim, but Hezbollah has been rumored in the media to have been given some old, unusable Scuds at some point in the past.
Scud missiles would give the Lebanese militant group the ability to hit targets anywhere in Israel at a time when Israeli officials are openly talking of launching another invasion of southern Lebanon.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Catalan Leader Seeks to Vote by Proxy to Avoid Arrest by Spain - January 18th, 2018
- Israeli Army Considers Seizing Palestinian Neighborhoods in Jerusalem - January 18th, 2018
- US Urges Turkey to Focus on ISIS, Not Attack Syrian Kurds - January 18th, 2018
- US to Withhold $45 Million in Pledged Palestinian Food Aid 'For Now' - January 18th, 2018
- Syria Threatens to Destroy Any Invading Turkish Warplanes - January 18th, 2018