Not contented with the Obama Adminstration’s various pushes for additional sanctions on the international level and Congress’ unilateral sanctions, Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman is calling for the US to adopt a Cuba-style embargo on Iran.
Speaking of the embargo, Lieberman said it “has already proven its efficacy” and “is strong enough to strangle and topple the Iranian regime.” The United States embargo began in March 1958, and was repeatedly strengthened throughout the 1960’s.
But despite Lieberman’s convictions that the sanctions worked swimmingly, relations with Cuba continued to sour until October of 1962, when the sanctions brought the world to the brink of nuclear war.
Even putting that aside, the near total embargo has been in effect for nearly half a century, and has failed to “strangle and topple” the Cuban regime. Far from a “solution” to the conflict, the embargo seems to be ‘proven’ only in its ability to escalate tensions over the long term.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon Cancels Major Aerial Wargames With South Korea - October 19th, 2018
- Saudi King Gives Trump Room to Avoid Acting Over Killing of Journalist - October 19th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill 32 Civilians in Eastern Syria - October 19th, 2018
- Bolton Pushes Trump to Withdraw From Russian Nuclear Treaty - October 19th, 2018
- Afghans Head to Polls Amid Corruption, Taliban Threats - October 19th, 2018