Not contented with the Obama Adminstration’s various pushes for additional sanctions on the international level and Congress’ unilateral sanctions, Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman is calling for the US to adopt a Cuba-style embargo on Iran.
Speaking of the embargo, Lieberman said it “has already proven its efficacy” and “is strong enough to strangle and topple the Iranian regime.” The United States embargo began in March 1958, and was repeatedly strengthened throughout the 1960’s.
But despite Lieberman’s convictions that the sanctions worked swimmingly, relations with Cuba continued to sour until October of 1962, when the sanctions brought the world to the brink of nuclear war.
Even putting that aside, the near total embargo has been in effect for nearly half a century, and has failed to “strangle and topple” the Cuban regime. Far from a “solution” to the conflict, the embargo seems to be ‘proven’ only in its ability to escalate tensions over the long term.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Palestinian Authority Threatens to Cut All Gaza Funds - August 21st, 2017
- Report: ISIS Attacks Grew in 2016, Despite Shrinking Territory - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Promises to 'Deal With Pakistan' on Afghan War - August 21st, 2017
- Trump Declares Open-Ended War in Afghanistan - August 21st, 2017
- Trump's Pentagon to Spend Nearly $500 Million on Gitmo Construction - August 21st, 2017