US drones fired at least three missiles against a home near Miramshah, North Waziristan today, killing at least nine people described by the Pakistani government as “suspected militants.”
The target’s affiliation remains unclear, as do the identities of the people inside, but the death toll has risen throughout the day and may rise further going forward.
Originally, Pakistani officials identified the house as a “compound” used by the Haqqani family. They later revised this, saying the house belonged to the Tehreek-e Taliban Pakistan (TTP). Now some officials say a group calling itself the “Punjabi Taliban” used the house, while some others are saying it was al-Qaeda’s.
The Obama Administration has ordered repeated escalations to the drone strikes against Pakistan, with upwards of 150 “suspects” killed since the beginning of the year alone. Only a handful of named militants have actually been killed.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cleric Sadr Calls for Delay in Forming Iraqi Govt as Protests Grow - July 19th, 2018
- Putin: Talks on Extending START Nuclear Treaty Must Start Now - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Invites Putin to White House for Second Summit - July 19th, 2018
- Afghan Defense Ministry Confirms Civilians Killed in Kunduz Airstrike - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Says Critics Badly Want War With Russia - July 19th, 2018