The Obama Administration is seeking billions of dollars in additional terror funding for assorted anti-terror operations, including increased military aid in Pakistan and funding to confront militants across the world.
Pentagon officials declined to speculate exactly how much additional funding was being requested, and many of the requests are hidden in classified budget requests. The cost of the ever-growing CIA drone strikes against Pakistan in particular remains a closely guarded secret.
But with the Fiscal Year 2011 military budget already reaching unprecedented levels, some officials were trying to sell the additional increases as “savings.” Secretary of Defense Robert Gates in particular claimed the massive increase in military aid in Yemen could in the long run save money, as it was cheaper than a hypothetical ground invasion of the nation.
The Obama Administration’s official plan has the 2011 budget as dramatically larger than 2012, but it should be remembered that when the massive 2010 budget was presented, their projections for 2011 were drastically lower then they turned out, and the 2012 budget has been called unrealistic by many.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Report: US Airstrike Kills Eight in Eastern Syria - June 21st, 2018
- Japan Halts Missile Attack Drills After Trump-Kim Summit - June 21st, 2018
- North Korea Denuclearization Has Already Started, Says Trump - June 21st, 2018
- Trump: North Korea Has Returned Remains of 200 US War Dead - June 21st, 2018
- Report Warns Taliban's 'Parallel State' Still Rules Large Swathes of Afghanistan - June 21st, 2018