Just days after a London Conference on Yemen urged the government to come to an agreement to end its on-going clash with the Shi’ite Houthi rebel faction in the north, the government’s Supreme Defense Council angrily rejected a ceasefire offer from the group.
The Houthis said they were willing to accept government conditions in return for a truce, and that their only demand was the end to military operations against them. They also accepted all five demands made by the government previously.
But the government said the offer was unacceptable because “it sets as a condition an end to military operations.” They also cited the Houthi faction’s reluctance to accept the Saudi government’s demand to create a “buffer zone.”
The Houthis have repeatedly offered peace talks with the Saudis as well, again on condition that all attacks against them ended. Those offers have been rejected, repeatedly, by the Saudi government.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- South Korea Turns Off Loudspeakers Aimed at North Korea - April 23rd, 2018
- Saudi Warplanes Attack Wedding Party in NW Yemen, Killing Dozens - April 23rd, 2018
- Senate Panel OKs Pompeo After Rand Paul Flip - April 23rd, 2018
- Iraq Says 36 ISIS Killed in Thursday's Syria Strike - April 22nd, 2018
- Trump Denies Making Too Many Concessions to North Korea - April 22nd, 2018