The Pakistani military killed 15 people it described as “terrorists” in North Waziristan today in a surprise day of operations carried out in and around the city of Miramshah.
The military, which only yesterday ruled out an offensive in North Waziristan, arrived in the early morning, declaring a curfew for Miramshah and some nearby villages. All residents were ordered to stay indoors throughout the day.
In a surprisingly heavy-handed operation, helicopter gunships then poured into the area and attacked people who were outside. Officials noted one specific incident in which helicopters attacked a car on the road simply because it was “violating the curfew.” One person in the car was killed and two others wounded.
The military also shelled homes that they believed were occupied by militants, leading to the other deaths and blew up two homes. Ground troops reportedly opened fire on a bus, killing three people and wounding several others.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Abbas, Haley Trade Barbs Over Peace Process at UN Security Council - February 20th, 2018
- 29 Killed in Afghanistan Attacks - February 20th, 2018
- Russia Confirms Several Dozen Citizens Killed in US Strike - February 20th, 2018
- Syrian Pro-Govt Forces Enter Afrin, Are Attacked by Turkish Military - February 20th, 2018
- Pentagon Wants Extra Time to Spend Massive Cash Influx - February 20th, 2018