11th Drone Strike of 2010
US drones launched another attack against North Waziristan Agency today, killing six people in the tiny village of Deegan, west of Miramshah. All six people were locals, and officials said it was unclear which, if any, militant group they might be linked with.
The attack was the 11th drone strike into Pakistan (10 in North Waziristan and one just across the border in South Waziristan) in 2010. The attacks have killed scores of people.
President Obama has dramatically increased the number of drone strikes since taking office, and appears to have escalated the air war even more significantly so far in 2010, as 2009 saw 44 drone strikes which killed just over 700 people.
As with 2009, the victims have largely been apparent civilians, with only one named militant, al-Qaeda bodyguard Mahmoud Mahdi Zeidan, confirmed killed. Tehreek-e Taliban Pakistan (TTP) leader Hakimullah Mehsud was initially reported killed but is now believed to have survived, though he may have suffered minor injuries in a drone strike aimed at him.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syria, Islamists Agree to Extend Ceasefire in Disputed Towns - August 27th, 2015
- US Drone Strike Kills Five in Southern Yemen - August 27th, 2015
- ISIS Seizes Territory Intended for US-Turkey 'Safe Zone' in Syria - August 27th, 2015
- Yemen FM Rules Out Talks With Houthis, Demands They Surrender - August 27th, 2015
- ISIS Suicide Bomber Kills Two Iraqi Generals in Anbar - August 27th, 2015