11th Drone Strike of 2010
US drones launched another attack against North Waziristan Agency today, killing six people in the tiny village of Deegan, west of Miramshah. All six people were locals, and officials said it was unclear which, if any, militant group they might be linked with.
The attack was the 11th drone strike into Pakistan (10 in North Waziristan and one just across the border in South Waziristan) in 2010. The attacks have killed scores of people.
President Obama has dramatically increased the number of drone strikes since taking office, and appears to have escalated the air war even more significantly so far in 2010, as 2009 saw 44 drone strikes which killed just over 700 people.
As with 2009, the victims have largely been apparent civilians, with only one named militant, al-Qaeda bodyguard Mahmoud Mahdi Zeidan, confirmed killed. Tehreek-e Taliban Pakistan (TTP) leader Hakimullah Mehsud was initially reported killed but is now believed to have survived, though he may have suffered minor injuries in a drone strike aimed at him.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Bombs Yemen Army Recruiter, Killing At Least 71 - August 29th, 2016
- Saudi Officials: Rocket Fire From Yemen Killed Two Children in Najran - August 28th, 2016
- Syrian Airstrikes Kill 24 Mourners at Aleppo Funeral - August 28th, 2016
- Taliban Seizes Key Eastern Afghanistan District - August 28th, 2016
- Pentagon: Fighting Between Turkey, Syrian Kurds 'Unacceptable' - August 28th, 2016