Fresh off the latest series of clashes along the ill-defined border with Yemen, Saudi Arabia’s Assistant Defense Minister Prince Khaled bin Sultan says the hundreds of additional Houthi rebels have been slain.
In addition, Prince Khaled said that one of the border villages seized by the rebels when the fighting began, al-Jabri, has been completely cleansed of Shi’ites. Saudi state media says that four soldiers were killed in the fighting.
The Houthi rebels have been fighting against both the Saudi government and the Yemeni government. The Houthis clashed with Saudi border patrols they claimed had entered Yemeni territory, and as the fighting escalated they seized several Saudi border towns. Saudi warplanes have responded by bombing Shi’ite cities in northern Yemen.
Fighting between the Houthis and the Yemeni government have also picked up recently, just one of several civil wars the Yemeni government is currently fighting.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- John Bolton to Replace McMaster as National Security Adviser - March 22nd, 2018
- Airstrike in Northern Syria Kills 20 Civilians, Mostly Children - March 21st, 2018
- Britain, Russia Continue to Trade Accusations Over Salisbury Poisoning - March 21st, 2018
- US, North Korea, and South Korea Hold Constructive Talks in Finland - March 21st, 2018
- Israel Publicly Admits 2007 Attack on Syria 'Nuclear Reactor' - March 21st, 2018