Fresh off the latest series of clashes along the ill-defined border with Yemen, Saudi Arabia’s Assistant Defense Minister Prince Khaled bin Sultan says the hundreds of additional Houthi rebels have been slain.
In addition, Prince Khaled said that one of the border villages seized by the rebels when the fighting began, al-Jabri, has been completely cleansed of Shi’ites. Saudi state media says that four soldiers were killed in the fighting.
The Houthi rebels have been fighting against both the Saudi government and the Yemeni government. The Houthis clashed with Saudi border patrols they claimed had entered Yemeni territory, and as the fighting escalated they seized several Saudi border towns. Saudi warplanes have responded by bombing Shi’ite cities in northern Yemen.
Fighting between the Houthis and the Yemeni government have also picked up recently, just one of several civil wars the Yemeni government is currently fighting.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iraqi Oil Ministry Warns World Against Making Oil Deals With Kurds - October 19th, 2017
- CIA Chief: North Korea on Cusp of Ability to Hit US With Nukes - October 19th, 2017
- Spain to Revoke Catalan Autonomy on Saturday - October 19th, 2017
- Taliban Destroys Afghan Army Base in Kandahar - October 19th, 2017
- Germany Suspends Training for Iraqi Kurdish Troops - October 18th, 2017