Week-Long Tour of War Zones Ends With More Pro-War Speeches
Senators John McCain (R – AZ) and Joe Lieberman (I – CT), two of the Senate’s premier war enthusiasts, wrapped up a whirlwind tour of America’s warzones and would-be warzones and have now transitioned to delivering one hawkish statement after another.
The two took turns in an interview on CNN praising President Obama for his hawkish stand on Afghanistan and predicting imminent victory (with Senator Lieberman citing the growing al-Qaeda presence in Yemen as proof that Afghanistan was going well), while chastizing the president for not taking even more hawkish positions in general.
In Pakistan, the two praised the ongoing drone strikes in Waziristan and condemning the civilian government for negative comments toward the drone escalation. At the same time, the two met separately with Pakistan’s military chief and said that they believe the Pakistani Army will soon invade North Waziristan, something the civilian government has bristled at with the army already committed to so many unpopular wars on America’s behalf.
They also lashed out at US special envoy George Mitchell for making comments about Israel’s loan guarantees, insisting that Congress would never tolerate any move to revoke any aid to the nation.
Sen. McCain also slammed Obama for not handing over the failed Christmas lap bomber to the military, even though he had never been to a US warzone and didn’t try to attack a military target. McCain insisted the man should not have access to a lawyer.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iraq PM: Saudi Troops in Syria Would Be 'Dangerous Escalation' - February 10th, 2016
- Afghan Police Officer Killed After Attacking NATO Delegation - February 10th, 2016
- Erdogan Slams US for Not Declaring Syrian Kurds Terrorists - February 10th, 2016
- NATO DMs Agree to More Troops on Russia Frontier - February 10th, 2016
- Rebels Feel 'Abandoned' by US in Face of Syrian Offensive - February 10th, 2016