Sen. McCain Praises 'Effective' Drone Strikes
Speaking today to a US Congressional delegation, Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari warned that the continued US drone strikes are undermining public support for the assorted wars in northern Pakistan and called for the attacks to cease.
The US has continued to increase the number of drone strikes in Pakistan in recent months, killing large numbers of civilians but relatively few high profile militant leaders. The attacks have riled the public, though US officials have dismissed such concerns.
Zardari has been pressuring the US to give drone technology to Pakistan so that it can launch its own strikes in the region, though since Pakistan has not-so-secretly provided targeting information for several of the US attacks it is unclear what this might accomplish.
But Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) one of the delegation members, praised the continued drone attacks as “very effective” and said they were essential to an eventual victory in America’s seemingly endless war in Central and South Asia.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Growing Infighting Among Kurdish Factions in Iraq, Syria - March 15th, 2017
- Sen. John McCain: Rand Paul Is Working for Vladimir Putin - March 15th, 2017
- Syrian War Enters 7th Year; Country as Divided as Ever - March 15th, 2017
- Key Iraqi Sunni Warns Civilian Deaths Surging in Iraq's West Mosul Invasion - March 15th, 2017
- Ukraine Blocks All Road, Rail Links to Separatist Regions - March 15th, 2017