Speaking after a meeting with the Qatari Prime Minister today, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton declared the ongoing war in Yemen a threat to the entire world.
Clinton noted that the various civil wars in Yemen “seem to just get worse and worse with more players involved,” adding that it was time that the international community to lay out its “expectations” to the Yemeni government.
Yemen has sought to downplay the threat posed by al-Qaeda, and insists that it is more than capable of tackling the militants without international help. At the same time, the government has already turned to the US to provide increasing amounts of training and even weaponry.
Despite Secretary Clinton’s comments about laying out expectations, it appears that the US support for the Yemeni government is secure, and the question is exactly how large of a military commitment the Obama Administration intends to make to the conflict.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- South Korea Turns Off Loudspeakers Aimed at North Korea - April 23rd, 2018
- Saudi Warplanes Attack Wedding Party in NW Yemen, Killing Dozens - April 23rd, 2018
- Senate Panel OKs Pompeo After Rand Paul Flip - April 23rd, 2018
- Iraq Says 36 ISIS Killed in Thursday's Syria Strike - April 22nd, 2018
- Trump Denies Making Too Many Concessions to North Korea - April 22nd, 2018