Speaking after a meeting with the Qatari Prime Minister today, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton declared the ongoing war in Yemen a threat to the entire world.
Clinton noted that the various civil wars in Yemen “seem to just get worse and worse with more players involved,” adding that it was time that the international community to lay out its “expectations” to the Yemeni government.
Yemen has sought to downplay the threat posed by al-Qaeda, and insists that it is more than capable of tackling the militants without international help. At the same time, the government has already turned to the US to provide increasing amounts of training and even weaponry.
Despite Secretary Clinton’s comments about laying out expectations, it appears that the US support for the Yemeni government is secure, and the question is exactly how large of a military commitment the Obama Administration intends to make to the conflict.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Afghan Officials Warn Malistan District on the Verge of Collapse - November 12th, 2018
- Taliban Overrun West Afghanistan District, Killing 37 Police and Civilians - November 12th, 2018
- Taliban Slaughter Elite Afghan Troops, as 'Safe' District Is Falling - November 12th, 2018
- North Korea Warns US-South Korea Drills Violate Agreement - November 12th, 2018
- IAEA Report Shows Iran Continues to Honor Nuclear Deal - November 12th, 2018