At least eight people were killed and several others wounded today when a horse-drawn cart full of explosives was detonated in the Afghan city of Kandahar.
Though the exact reason for the bombing was unclear, the attack occurred near a “guest house” which houses international officials visiting the city. At least one security guard was wounded in the bombing.
Apparently security became suspicious of the cart before the attack, as witnesses say they opened fire on the cart driver and wounded him before he detonated his explosives. Several rooms in the guest house compound were damaged.
A separate attack on the other side of Kandahar targeted a Canadian patrol, killing a Canadian soldier and injuring an interpreter.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Major Taliban Attacks Kill at Least 74 Across Afghanistan - October 17th, 2017
- Peshmerga: Iraqi Offensive Is a 'Declaration of War' - October 16th, 2017
- Thousands Flee as Iraqi Forces Seize Kirkuk - October 16th, 2017
- Pentagon Backs Away as US Allies Prepare to Battle in Iraqi Kurdistan - October 16th, 2017
- North Korea Rejects US Talks Amid Threats - October 16th, 2017