At least eight people were killed and several others wounded today when a horse-drawn cart full of explosives was detonated in the Afghan city of Kandahar.
Though the exact reason for the bombing was unclear, the attack occurred near a “guest house” which houses international officials visiting the city. At least one security guard was wounded in the bombing.
Apparently security became suspicious of the cart before the attack, as witnesses say they opened fire on the cart driver and wounded him before he detonated his explosives. Several rooms in the guest house compound were damaged.
A separate attack on the other side of Kandahar targeted a Canadian patrol, killing a Canadian soldier and injuring an interpreter.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Corrects Tillerson, Rejects North Korea Talks - December 13th, 2017
- White House Accuses Abbas of 'Preventing Peace' With Criticism - December 13th, 2017
- US Expected to Sanction Iran Because of Worsening Conditions in Yemen - December 13th, 2017
- Saudi Airstrikes Against Yemen Capital Kill 39 - December 13th, 2017
- Yemen's Pro-Saleh Faction, Houthis Make a Deal to End Dispute - December 13th, 2017