At least eight people were killed and several others wounded today when a horse-drawn cart full of explosives was detonated in the Afghan city of Kandahar.
Though the exact reason for the bombing was unclear, the attack occurred near a “guest house” which houses international officials visiting the city. At least one security guard was wounded in the bombing.
Apparently security became suspicious of the cart before the attack, as witnesses say they opened fire on the cart driver and wounded him before he detonated his explosives. Several rooms in the guest house compound were damaged.
A separate attack on the other side of Kandahar targeted a Canadian patrol, killing a Canadian soldier and injuring an interpreter.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Army Makes Major Gains in Eastern Ghouta - March 23rd, 2018
- Kurdish Rebels Flee Iraq Border Area, Anticipating Turkish Attack - March 23rd, 2018
- Trump Signs New Bill Slashing Aid to Palestinians - March 23rd, 2018
- Russia Intends to Substantially Cut Military Spending Over Next Five Years - March 23rd, 2018
- Majority of $1.3 Trillion US Omnibus Spending Bill Goes to Military - March 23rd, 2018