At least eight people were killed and several others wounded today when a horse-drawn cart full of explosives was detonated in the Afghan city of Kandahar.
Though the exact reason for the bombing was unclear, the attack occurred near a “guest house” which houses international officials visiting the city. At least one security guard was wounded in the bombing.
Apparently security became suspicious of the cart before the attack, as witnesses say they opened fire on the cart driver and wounded him before he detonated his explosives. Several rooms in the guest house compound were damaged.
A separate attack on the other side of Kandahar targeted a Canadian patrol, killing a Canadian soldier and injuring an interpreter.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Two Koreas Meet Again With UN on Border Disarmament - October 21st, 2018
- US Denies Killing Syrian Civilians, Says Mosque Was 'Valid Military Target' - October 21st, 2018
- Security Woes, Irregularities Mar Afghanistan's Second Day of Voting - October 21st, 2018
- US General Wounded During Thursday Insider Attack in Afghanistan - October 21st, 2018
- Saudi FM: We Don't Know How Khashoggi Was Killed - October 21st, 2018