At least eight people were killed and several others wounded today when a horse-drawn cart full of explosives was detonated in the Afghan city of Kandahar.
Though the exact reason for the bombing was unclear, the attack occurred near a “guest house” which houses international officials visiting the city. At least one security guard was wounded in the bombing.
Apparently security became suspicious of the cart before the attack, as witnesses say they opened fire on the cart driver and wounded him before he detonated his explosives. Several rooms in the guest house compound were damaged.
A separate attack on the other side of Kandahar targeted a Canadian patrol, killing a Canadian soldier and injuring an interpreter.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pompeo Rejects EU Appeal for Iran Sanctions Exemptions - July 16th, 2018
- US Commander: Afghan ISIS Resilient to US Attacks, Almost Impossible to Defeat - July 16th, 2018
- Israel Attacks on Aleppo Air Base Killed at Least 22 - July 16th, 2018
- White House Orders Diplomats to Seek Direct Talks With Afghan Taliban - July 16th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill at Least Eight Civilians in Eastern Syria - July 16th, 2018