At least one of the slain was a policeman. The toll might have been higher but a nearby missionary school was closed for the Christmas holiday. All the businesses in the area have since been closed.
Peshawar police warn that the attack was unlikely to be an isolated incident, and intelligence agencies say that there could be more bombings in the near future.
The attack is the second in Peshawar this week, after a previous bombing hit the city’s Press Club. Peshawar has been a popular target in recent months as the wars in the tribal areas escalate.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Drone Strikes Kill 31 People in Pakistan Tribal Areas - October 17th, 2017
- Catalonia Won't Renounce Independence, Despite Looming Deadline - October 17th, 2017
- Pentagon May Stop Training Iraqis Amid Kurdish Conflict - October 17th, 2017
- Kurdish Forces Abandon Territory In Face of Iraqi Offensive - October 17th, 2017
- Syrian Kurds Declare Victory in Raqqa, But Face Complicated Peace - October 17th, 2017