As had been widely expected since the announcement of Grant Ayatollah Montazeri’s death yesterday, his funeral has become a flash point for the opposition, complete with requisite clashes and speeches from opposition politicians.
Hundreds of thousands were reported at the holy city of Qom, wearing the green clothing that has become a centerpiece of the would-be color coded revolution, as Mir-Hossein Mousavi and Mehdi Karoubi made themselves very visible.
The mourners were said to be chanting anti-government slogans, while others had them chanting pro-Mousavi slogans. Either way they clashed with police and generally made the funeral about the disputed June elections.
In fact the only mention of the 87-year-old Ayatollah’s death at all were claims among the protesters that Montazeri’s dying wish was to see the current government toppled.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel Attacks Syrian Air Defenses After Warplanes Come Under Fire - October 16th, 2017
- Spain Threatens to Seize Catalonia as Deadline Looms - October 15th, 2017
- US Reaches ISIS Evacuation Deal From Raqqa - October 15th, 2017
- Trump's Iran Plan Faces Major Resistance in Congress - October 15th, 2017
- US Military Sees Growing Injuries, Deaths, in Non-Combat Situations - October 15th, 2017