Hundreds of Thousands of Opposition Protesters Reported in Qom
As had been widely expected since the announcement of Grant Ayatollah Montazeri’s death yesterday, his funeral has become a flash point for the opposition, complete with requisite clashes and speeches from opposition politicians.
Hundreds of thousands were reported at the holy city of Qom, wearing the green clothing that has become a centerpiece of the would-be color coded revolution, as Mir-Hossein Mousavi and Mehdi Karoubi made themselves very visible.
The mourners were said to be chanting anti-government slogans, while others had them chanting pro-Mousavi slogans. Either way they clashed with police and generally made the funeral about the disputed June elections.
In fact the only mention of the 87-year-old Ayatollah’s death at all were claims among the protesters that Montazeri’s dying wish was to see the current government toppled.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Netanyahu: Israel Continuing Gaza War With 'Full Force' - July 24th, 2014
- Air Algerie Plane Crashes in Militant-Held Mali Region - July 24th, 2014
- Ukraine Coalition Govt Collapses, Setting Stage for New Elections - July 24th, 2014
- US Invents Reports of Russia Attacking Ukraine Bases - July 24th, 2014
- Israel Shells UN School in Gaza, Killing 16 Civilians, Wounding Hundreds - July 24th, 2014