Despite accusing Pakistan’s government only days ago of secretly being in league with the Taliban, Secretary of Defense Robert Gates insists that the United States will not pursue the Afghan Taliban leadership into Pakistan.
Yet the United States has been launching attacks on Pakistani soil, with the private consent of the Pakistani government, for years and only last week it was reported that the White House had approved yet another escalation of these strikes.
While Pakistan has had little problem with the US strikes into North and South Waziristan, but is reportedly in opposition to the latest escalation, which would have CIA drones lobbing missiles deeper into Pakistani territory.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Led Airstrikes Killed 472 Civilians in Syria in the Past Month - June 23rd, 2017
- US Narrows Counter-Extremism Program to Focus on Islamists - June 23rd, 2017
- Senator: US Strikes on Syrian Forces 'Unlawful' - June 23rd, 2017
- Kurds Warn Turkey's Buildup in North Syria Threatens Raqqa Invasion - June 23rd, 2017
- Senators Seek Clarification on US Role in Yemen Torture - June 23rd, 2017