Despite accusing Pakistan’s government only days ago of secretly being in league with the Taliban, Secretary of Defense Robert Gates insists that the United States will not pursue the Afghan Taliban leadership into Pakistan.
Yet the United States has been launching attacks on Pakistani soil, with the private consent of the Pakistani government, for years and only last week it was reported that the White House had approved yet another escalation of these strikes.
While Pakistan has had little problem with the US strikes into North and South Waziristan, but is reportedly in opposition to the latest escalation, which would have CIA drones lobbing missiles deeper into Pakistani territory.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Spain PM Vows to Seize Catalonia If Independence Isn't Abandoned - October 18th, 2017
- Iraqi Kurds Withdraw to June 2014 Lines as Offensive Continues - October 18th, 2017
- US Drone Strikes Kill 31 People in Pakistan Tribal Areas - October 17th, 2017
- Catalonia Won't Renounce Independence, Despite Looming Deadline - October 17th, 2017
- Pentagon May Stop Training Iraqis Amid Kurdish Conflict - October 17th, 2017